Now, I know what you're thinking.
No, really, it's not all that much of an improvement from the original SM64.
Now, even though the DS is also a 64-bit console, it is inferior in many ways, and SM64DS is no different.
You see, one of the first things you'll notice is this: the items that were 2D in SM64 used interpolation to make them look smoother as you get closer.
The DS simply cannot do this.
Now, a lot of things were good, don't get me wrong, unlike in SM64 items like underwater and the mirror are more visible, tinted rather than being simply transparent, and there are some neat new tricks you can do in the mirror room, as well as taking advantage of the mirror system by changing paintings of Luigi into paintings of Wario, invisible things only visible in the mirror, turning Mario's reflection into Luigi, and a fully navigatable mirror room (well, sort of. the only thing past the door is a blank white space containing a secret star), catching M.I.P.S.-like rabbits can earn you minigames and stars, and many more things.
However, there were other things that were not so great.
An article announcing Waluigi's appearance in SM64DS showed beta screenshots of his 3D model and abilities.
Alas, they were only beta screenshots.
Waluigi never got a chance to appear in a popular DS game- wereas Wario did.
However, Waluigi's door was left in, but with only the sounds of cackling and a very scared player running out- maybe Waluigi is still in there, scaring away the protagonists and plotting his revenge...
Or maybe some boos have just taken up residence in the empty room.
The latter is more likely, taking into account that the courtyard is full of them.
Now, does anyone remember the title screen of SM64, with the fun little "stretch mario's face around" minigame? If not:
Well, in SM64DS, they replaced it with this:
Now, look at this:
Now, wouldn't that have been a lot better?
If it was possible as a DS demo, why couldn't it have been on SM64DS?
I know a lot of people thought the drawing minigame was pretty good, and I personally don't mind it, but wouldn't we all like the 3D mario head stretching minigame back?
I know I would.
So, that's all for today, next time- more!
Saturday, 16 January 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm pretty sure the Waluigi thing is just a hoax, and he was never intended to be in the game in the first place, and the screenshots are photoshopped. I wish somehow people could know what was in that room though, that simply has the Boo laughs and the characters running out.
ReplyDeleteAnd while I agree with the face stretching point, I never quite understand what the hatred of Super Mario 64 DS is... this article doesn't explain it, maybe part 2 would give a reason I can maybe counter?
Well, this article is mostly about the negatice side of SM64DS (and I should know, I own a copy).
ReplyDeleteIt might be more than 2 parts, I don't know.